Thursday, October 1, 2009

MATUNUCK OYSTER BAR



Yesterday Dan & I took the afternoon off, he from work and me from my grandbaby waiting game. We were not able to go away for an anniversary trip this year, so in the last couple of weeks we have taken road trips in order to spend time together.
Yesterday we first hiked Trustom Pond, which will soon be on my hiking blog. After the hike we visited Matunuck Oyster Bar.



This restaurant just opened this summer near Matunuck State Beach. We were already familiar with the owner, Perry Raso, because we have been buying shellfish from him at various farmer's markets in Rhode Island for at least 2 years. Perry has an oyster farm in Ninigret Pond. The restaurant is right on this pond, and there are gorgeous views from the tables.






The reason that I am writing about this restaurant here is that besides their own oysters, they also have about 6 other types of oysters from other waters in Rhode Island, including my favorite, Rome Point. They also use local produce and cheese.

I recently found out from a friend that this restaurant serves Ninigret Pond oysters on the half shell on Monday to Thursday, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. for $1.00 each. The oysters from other locations are the usual price of $1.75, so Dan & I ordered a dozen of the ones on special.

As you can see, we ate them so quick that I did not get a photo until after we had inhaled them all.


After the dozen oysters, we shared an appetizer special, grilled scallops with tempura broccoli (yum) and a salad of arugula, white beans & pickled red onions with shaved Atwell's Gold Cheese from
Narragansett Creamery, made in Rhode Island. Dan also ordered a stuffie for himself, local clams were used and a side order of french fries, because they were local.



There is a wonderful, and huge outdoor dining area set up, as well as a fire pit. Unfortunately we did not sit outside because it was quite windy and a little chilly last night around dinner time.

I did not think that I had any room left, but there was blueberry cheesecake on the desert menu, made with Narragansett Creamery's Ricotta, which is the BEST ricotta I have ever tasted. I was in heaven eating that cheesecake, even if I did have to share it.



This young man was shucking oysters as customers ordered them. Last night the place was quite busy, and there were several people sitting at the bar, and 2 men standing at the end, ordering the different types of oysters and enjoying some drafts.

I had deliberated ordering the lobster roll which I thought was a great price at $15.95, so when I saw a nearby table being delivered 2 of them, I was quite jealous because there was a huge amount of lobster in the rolls. I'll be having one of those on my next visit. There is many other items on the menu, not just oysters, so check the link above, and plan on going there soon. I don't think they have a heating system installed yet, so you might want to call ahead of time. I only wish they were not so far away, this is a great restaurant, and because they use local food, I would make it one of my regulars.



This guy was also enjoying the local foods right out our window.

2 comments:

  1. drooling over the oysters. I love them. 12 is so not enough. Nice heron. Keep him there. I had enough of them eating my Koi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our anniversary is coming up, it sounds like a place both Steve and I would love to have dinner at, for our anniversary.

    ReplyDelete