Saturday, January 16, 2010

NEW YEARS EVE DINNER: Pasta with Butternut Sauce & Agvolemono Soup

We usually don't go out on New Year's Eve, but we do usually make a "fancy" meal for the two of us. This year it was roasted cod, pumpkin ravioli with Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce and Greek Egg Lemon Soup (Avgolemono).


The soup is a recipe that I found in a vegetarian cookbook, I can't remember the name of it. I used to go to a restaurant on the East Side, Andrea's and my favorite meal there was always a piece of their spanokopita and a bowl of this soup.
I will put the recipe at the end of this entry to make it easier to copy & paste.
First dice up the leeks, carrots, & celery. I think I also added onion because I had it.



Heat olive oil & add the veggies. When veggies are softened, add the broth, but keep back about 1/2 cup. The recipe calls for No Chicken Chicken broth, but I only had veggie and it came out fine.




Look at those beautiful orangy yolks! The eggs are from Zephyr Farms, as well as the carrots and onions. The leeks and the celery are from Morris Farms, I got them just before Christmas.



The eggs get whisked with lemon juice and 1/2 cup of the broth.



When the soup is done cooking, the eggs, lemon & broth get added back in to heat, but not to a boil. I like the smooth velvety texture of this soup.




I knew that I wanted to make a pasta sauce with a half a squash I had left from something else, so searched a couple of recipe sites, and found this on the Vegetarian Times website. There is a link
here
. To make it as local as I could, I omitted the red pepper and added shredded carrots and I also used local onions and garlic. This makes a lot of sauce. I had enough to freeze some for another day.



This sauce was very quick and easy to make. If you start with cut & peeled squash it makes in even less time. Today I saw cut & peeled squash at the Barden Farms table of the farmer's market.



Besides the fish, this was our big "splurge" of the night. Pumpkin ravioli made right on "The Hill".



The pesto that I used was from Besto Pesto, which is locally made and owned by Michelle of Zephyr Farms. I use this pesto in many, many dishes.

Recipe:
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 med. leeks, 1 small onion, 2 celery spears & 2 carrots, all finely chopped
1/2 cup orzo
2 large eggs
6 cups No Chicken Chicken broth (or veggie)
3 Tbsp lemon juice (I use a little bit more because I like the lemon)
Fresh parsley for garnish, if you have it

Heat oil in large saucepan over med. heat. Add leeks, onion, carrot & celery with a pinch of salt. Cover & cook 5 to 7 minutes or till the veggies are soft, stir often.
Stir in the broth, holding back about a 1/2 cup for later. Season with pepper. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer 10 minutes.
Add orzo and cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
Whisk together the eggs & lemon juice. Add the reserved veggie broth to this after you have warmed it. Whisk continually till blended and add back to the soup. Cook over low heat, 2 to 3 minutes or until soup is thickened, but without letting it come to a boil. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
If you have leftover, do not let boil upon reheating.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks delicious. I love the photographs of your food. Where did you buy the cod and what was your recipe for that?
    -Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunny, Dan bought the cod at Gardner's Wharf on Warwick Avenue. It was local and fresh. (which is unsustainable but I am having a hard time trying to figure out the fish issue -- local or flown in from Alaska. This is why I have cut way back on fish consumption.
    I squeezed lemon juice on top of it, a couple pats of butter, then topped with brown rice "bread" crumbs. Then several shakes of garlic powder, dried marjoram, freeze dried green onions & a bit of paprika. Roasted at 375 until firm but not dry, about 10 to 15 minutes. It all depends on the thickness of the fish. I get the dried green onions from a spice shop in Milwaukee -- maybe you are familiar with it, it is right across the street from a big sausage store and next door to Milwaukee's most famous German restaurant (I can't remember the name of the restaurant right now)

    ReplyDelete