Sunday, August 9, 2009

pickled cucumbers




Don't you just love my cutting board? Made in Rhode Island last year by my son for my birthday gift. He's a carpenter, so he just took a piece of his scrap wood, cut out the shape, and then he etched the outline of our little state onto the board. I think it is quite lovely. Of course, I don't utilize that side, I turn it over & use the backside.



I make these easy pickled cucumbers constantly throughout the cucumber season. These are not to be confused with "canned" pickles, which is a whole different process and require sterilization and lots of time.

To make these pickled cucumbers, use a clean glass jar. Fill the jar 1/3 of the way with apple cider vinegar, cut the cucumbers in thin slices, add to the jar. Then take 2 cloves of peeled garlic and just crush them with the flat side of your knife. Add the garlic cloves to the jar. Add some whole black peppercorns, cover & shake. Let them sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour before eating. If you don't have apple cider vinegar, they also taste great with red wine vinegar, or white vinegar.

Don't they look good? My family eats them just as they are or they add them to sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment